Thursday 9 August 2012

7th August 2012

August is a time to reap in your harvests, this is sort of true with me and sort of not as this has not been a very good year for me, my vegetables were swimming in water for about a month and this meant that although some of my plants have survived, a lot didnt.
I have learnt two things here. One, is to raise my beds next year and the other is to realise what I can still sow and get into the beds now. Luckily I had lots of little seedlings growing for a 2nd or 3rd batch already coming along so all was not lost. I have been quite shocked to find that other people werent as badly affected as me from the bad weather and their gardens are doing very well. Anyhow, jobs. 1. Sow more lettuce, radishes, rocket, spinach..... 2. Plant out any more seedlings that are ready such as salads and peas, broad beans.... 3. Harvest everything you can, if you have too much of something either share it with friends, freeze, bottle or make jams and chutneys with it. Harvest any tomatoes or peppers that are ripe. 4. Remember to water the greenhouse regularly. 5. Try to keep order in the vegetable patch, weed and mow.

No comments:

Post a Comment